This page is about the encoding and fonts that are used on the Myanmar Wikipedia. To get started right away, just skip to [[ဝီႇၶီႇၽီးတီးယႃး:Font#External links|the external links]] to download a Unicode 5.1 font, install it and join the community.
== Why Unicode? ==
Unicode is a standard that defines how text should be saved into data and how it is read and written. Almost every script in the world, including [[:en:Burmese script|Burmese]], is defined in the Unicode Standard. Carefully designed by experts of the field around the world, this international standard is supported by virtually all the latest platforms--not only in major [[:en:Operating System|operating systems]] like Windows, Mac, and Linux but also in OSes of mobile phones and many electronic devices. The Unicode Standard is the most well-known encoding scheme to support the largest number of scripts/languages in a single page of code. More information is available at [https://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html Unicode.org]. See [[:en:Wikipedia:Unicode|discussion on Unicode usage in Wikipedia]]. All Wikipedias, including the English language Wikipedia, use Unicode as it is [[:meta:UTF-8|Wikimedia Foundation policy]].
=== Why use Unicode? ===
It is the international accepted standard by the [[:en:World Wide Web Consortium|World Wide Web Consortium]], the main international standards organization for the [[ဝက်ဘ်|World Wide Web]].
* The fonts necessary to view and edit are freely available.
* Search is seamless with Unicode.
* Unicode makes it extremely easy to translate the Wikipedia's interface.
* Unicode fonts support 11 languages that use the Myanmar script:
**2 liturgical languages: Pali and Sanskrit
**8 minority languages: Mon, Shan, Kayah, four Karen languages and Rumai Palaung
== External links ==
=== Unicode Myanmar/Burmese fonts ===
These are links for fonts that conform to the Burmese script encoded in Unicode 5.1 and above (all of them are available for free) -
* [http://mcf.org.mm/download-center/pyidaungsu-font.html '''Pyidaungsu Font'''] - Myanmar unicode font and keyboard
* [http://www.myanmars.net/winmyanmar '''WinMyanmar Ver. 5.2''' Unicode] - from WinMyanmar System (requires email registration for downloading)
* [http://www.myanmarlanguage.org/ Myanmar Language]
=== Other sites ===
* [http://my.duniakitab.com/ThanLwinSoft/ Thanlwin Soft] - useful Unicode site that provides alphabetization, keyboard input methods, legacy font conversion software and more resources
* [http://rishida.net/scripts/myanmar/ Myanmar character notes] - describes how the Myanmar script is used for the Burmese language in the context of the Unicode Myanmar block